Monday, December 04, 2006

When your boss is a liar

I am a paid freelance writer for a particular blog (one where I use my 'real' identity) and I just found out about a really deceptive, evil thing my boss did. The site I write for has several writers. I wrote a review of a place a few months ago. Last week, another writer wrote a review of the same place, so my boss basically apologized to me, saying "She didn't remember the name of the place when she pitched it to me so sorry about the mix-up". That was fine; after all, lots of places, shows, restaurants, doctors, etc get multiple reviews, but this time it just happened to be two from the same site.

I read her article. I'm looking at the pictures she chose, and they look oddly familiar. When I wrote my article, I also went to the store and took lots of pictures. Apparently I wasn't the only one who "took" pictures. This other writer stole my pictures from my article. So I confronted my boss, asking him (not accusing) if he grabbed the pictures from my article or she did. I asked him again. No response. Finally, his response was "Sorry for the lack of response regarding the pictures."

Who the FUCK writes "sorry for the lack of response" and then doesn't address it!?!? So I did a little investigating - clicking on her pictures showed the link where the images were hosted, and it's hosted on his 'parent' site for our web site. So he's either covering for her or covering for himself, but essentially stole the images I took and let her not only take credit, but excuse her from writing what I had already done. This guy is an asshole. He pays me next to nothing for great work.

I have to find new freelance writing gigs. I know I'm good enough for them and my heart is devoted to writing, but why do I stumble upon a scumbag who does this to me?

No comments: