Friday, July 08, 2005

Holy technology, Batman.

I just used Skype for the first time today. In layman's terms, it's a way for you to speak through your computer microphone to another person anywhere in the world. I think you can also use it to dial phone numbers anywhere in the world. Did I mention it's free? Not that I ever need to use this since I have unlimited local/long distance phone service, but my good friend Elizabeth is living in Germany for the summer, so I asked her to download it and give it a try. It's certainly a little bit choppy (i.e. your cell phone's average service) and you will hear your own voice come back to you from her speakers outputting the sound then treating it as input, but if you put headphones on, that takes care of that problem.

We spoke for 1/2 hour. I was completely floored. I'm such a geek.

No comments: