Monday, October 24, 2005

Hurricane Wilma

Naples, FL is my hometown (lived there until I was 14 and my Dad still lives there). My Dad's apartment is about 100 yards away from the Gulf Of Mexico. He's up here for now but has no idea if there's been any damage to his apartment... many of his windows have no hurricane shutters. My in-laws had a window shatter and soak their living room and have a leak in their kitchen ceiling. I can't help but think, "It sucks that they have damage, but they have their lives and aren't homeless." Not to belittle the suffering anyone goes through a hurricane, but what about these people who are still in shelters from Katrina?

Today was the first day I really felt I would prefer the NYC winters over the FL summers and FL hurricanes. We'll see how long that feeling lasts when it's slushy and grey here for weeks at a time.

No comments: