Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Borat: A Sign Saying "It's ok, I'm Jewish"

My husband D and I went to see Borat last night. We're normally not big movie-goers, but typically wait for something to come out on DVD or pay-per view and watch it at home. It's cheaper, more comfortable to relax on a couch, and the element of pause for bathroom breaks basically kicks ass. However, we couldn't wait to see Borat - so many friends said it's hilarious and every trailer I've seen had me laughing my ass off.

In the movie, we both experienced something that neither one of us was aware the other one was thinking until after the movie was over. There were fewer than 20 people in the theater with us, an added bonus when you see a 5PM showing on a Monday night. I think D and I both have great senses of humor - we're able to laugh at ourselves on a daily basis and find loads of things funny. We laughed throughout a lot of the movie, and felt like our chuckles were the only ones at times. In particular, there was a scene called "Running of the Jew" where Borat has Kazakhs running down the street being chased by a person wearing an oversized head that looks 'stereotypical' like a Jew. In the middle of my laughter, I couldn't help but think, "Are these other people in the theater judging me and think that I'm laughing because they're making fun of Jews?" or do they know I realize the social commentary Sascha Baron Cohen is making?

It was the first time in my life I wanted to wear a sign or tell everyone in the theater, "It's ok because I'm a Jew." There were even times where I resisted laughing, almost fearful that I shouldn't be laughing at these scenes but rather saying "Holy shit I can't believe he was doing this!" I had wondered if, during the scene where Cohen was ripping into a church that was "saving him", if Christians felt the same way.

Don't get me wrong. The movie was fucking brilliant to say the least.

No comments: